Schools began using Opportunity Culture in:
Learn more about Opportunity Culture in Arkansas by visiting this website.
In Arkansas, North Little Rock Middle School began using Opportunity Culture models in 2017–18 as a pilot for the Arkansas Department of Education’s statewide initiative to reach all students with excellent, personalized teaching. In 2019–20, Forrest City School District and Lincoln Consolidated School District joined the initiative.
North Little Rock School District
In North Little Rock Middle, the sixth grade functions essentially as its own campus. This large school implemented multi-classroom leaders in all middle school grades.
District and school leaders worked with Public Impact to strengthen and scale up their initial designs. Opportunity Culture is now in 10 schools in the district.
The district has one preschool, 10 elementary schools, one middle school, and one high school. Of its 8,405 students, 60 percent are African American, 9 percent are Hispanic/Latino, and 29 percent are white; 73 percent of students come from low-income households.
Arkansas Department of Education expands Opportunity Culture to more districts
In 2019-20 the Arkansas Department of Education helped expand Opportunity Culture to three schools in Forrest City School District and Lincoln Consolidated School District, and five more districts plan to join the initiative in 2020–21.
- Forrest City School District
- Lincoln Consolidated School District
- North Little Rock School District
- Augusta School District (Implementing in Fall 2020)
- Gentry Public Schools (Implementing in Fall 2020)
- Hope Public Schools (Implementing in Fall 2020)
- Lee County School District (Implementing in Fall 2020)
- Public Impact Press Release: North Little Rock District Kicks Off Statewide Effort to Reach All Students with Excellent Teaching Through Opportunity Culture; Plans to Use Summit Learning Materials
- State Recognizes Lincoln Elementary’s Reading Program, May 2019 by Lynn Kutter for Washington County Enterprise-Leader
- Lincoln To Participate In ‘Opportunity Culture’ Pilot, January 2019 by Lynn Kutter for Washington County Enterprise-Leader